Main

May 31, 2006

Phoenix

After first coat of primer white.

PhoenixPrimer.jpg

May 15, 2006

Phoenix

Here are the pictures. It's not painted yet.

December 1, 2005

Outlaw Launchpad CAM

(click to launch in a new window)

The video is from the launchpad of one of my recent launches on B.I. The launch was a bit delayed, but it still looks cool. One of my hobbies. *chuckles* Building Estes Rockets, and launching them.

July 16, 2005

Black Diamond

BlackDiamond.jpg My launch in Ohio was successful. I swear the thing went 1000FT. Now to modify the paint on the cone again. It just didn't come out right. I'm going to sand and cover with gloss red. Here is the launch video. We lost it in the sky it went so far up.

Update: Here is my paint scheme. Just painted the cone gloss red.
BlackDiamond_mine.jpg

July 9, 2005

Estes Model - Black Diamond

primer_blackdiamond.jpg Ok, The primer paint is drying now. I'll wait for four hours, then sand. After that I will decide whether it needs another coat of primer, or just move to gloss black. I don't want to match the paint scheme to what is pictured. Well, it will be modified. I'm going to figure in a gloss fluoresent yellow design along the cone and base. Hmmm... Lightning pattern maybe. Still thinking about it.

glossblack_blackdiamond.jpg Update: Ok, here it is with the gloss black paint complete. Four hours to dry, and it's now 1:40 p.m. Now to contemplate further modification of the design. Here is a picture of what the unmodified Black Diamond looks like.

May 30, 2005

Block Island, The 30th

We launched my Rockets today with the kids. Wife-y recorded the launches for me. The kids were there, and I let them do the launches and recovery. I just readied them for launch. The "Heatseeker" fell apart in flight. It came down in two pieces. I was concerned about this putting it together. I knew I should've replaced the questionable part in the beginning. This particular Estes rocket comes with a basic material flaw. The shock cord. This rocket comes with an elastic shock cord. Not good for heat. It catches fire and burns. I'm going to replace this upon getting home with a rubber band. They are more resistant to heat. Proof of concept is the "Outlaw". It has a rubber band as a shock cord.

We had good launches with the "Outlaw". It's had five launches with light damage to the parachute so far. Not enough to effect it's flight down. Easily repairable. Estes rockets come with plastic parachutes, so they are cheap to replace if need be.

Oh, there was A LOT of wind. I had to angle it to a point where I was worried about it hitting another house. I moved it another five feet to my left. It worked. And drifted back onto the launch field. :D The kids enjoyed it, but I think I enjoyed it MORE.

Mom and Dad have left to the ferry to head back to N.Y. One of the children stayed with us. The older boy G. Everyone else headed to the beach for a bit. After that it's to Club Soda for snacks, video games, and drinks. Yah!

Our ferry is planned for Wednesday, but we might try to catch one of the Tuesday ferries. The Tuesday leaving is iffy.

May 23, 2005

Block Island, The 23rd

Today was a good day. Went into town to pickup some Duko Cement glue for my rockets. I didn't feel the Super Glue would hold long term. Anyway, I now have two rockets built. The Astron Outlaw and the AGM-57X Heatseeker. So far the Outlaw has had two successful launches. I have pictures, and a video that will be up soon. The third rocket I have I am going to wait till I get home. It's more involved, and I want to get some good paints at the hobby shop in PA.

myrockets052305.jpg spentengines.jpg


Video to come when I get a chance to go to the island library.

Now I have pie!